Shohei Ohtani  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

alacy52
(@alacy52)
Day 1 Supporter
08/12/2017 2:33 pm  

Looking forward to seeing how Ohtani gets incorporated into Clutch. Separate hitter and pitcher cards? An OF/P card with two charts and both on-base and control? Double-sided card? Definitely going to be a challenge for the makers.

ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
(@mattinthehat)
Day 1 Supporter
09/12/2017 6:49 pm  

I like the double-sided card idea. Either way both versions of his card will make their way into my lineup. It also sounds like the Angels won't let him play in the OF, only DH. I think he would be a good midseason card, wait and see how he actually plays in MLB.

ReplyQuote
Catastrophe
(@catastrophe)
Inaugural Tournament Champion
10/12/2017 1:06 pm  

My first thought was to make THREE versions (Pitcher, Batter, and Double-Sided) with varying salaries, but the Double-Sided thing could wreak havoc with Roster-building rules. He would need a special rule, "Counts as two Players (Pitcher and Batter)." Might be better to just make two versions (Pitcher and Batter), and have Ohtani be the first Clutch Player where you can have two of the same name on the same team.

Patiently waiting for the Omar Vizquel 1999 Career Year card - .333/.397/.436 - AS, GG, SB

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
(@rsm162000)
Day 1 Supporter
11/12/2017 7:52 am  

I am interested in how the Clutch guys will incorporate him too.  Personally, I like the idea of separate cards for Pitcher and Hitter.

ReplyQuote
BearDownForWhat
(@beardownforwhat)
Day 1 Supporter
11/12/2017 9:07 pm  

Regardless of separate cards or double-sided card, I think it's important to wait and release him, at the earliest, as a mid-season guy.  The Clutch guys always said certain guys were excluded for lack of at-bats/appearances so I hope they consider that when they make Ohtani preparations.  Hard to know what he'll be in the MLB vs japanese baseball league and hard to equate those stats to MLB.

ReplyQuote
Ahrensku
(@big-tuna)
Day 1 Supporter
12/02/2018 11:48 am  

Now that Shohei has been released, he is a real interesting card.  I'm debating if he is worth it at the pricey 805.  Neither side is remotely close to that price, but is paying that much worth it to have an extra player on your team 4/5 games.

ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
(@jordan)
Clutch Creator Admin
12/02/2018 5:26 pm  
Posted by: Ahrensku

Now that Shohei has been released, he is a real interesting card.  I'm debating if he is worth it at the pricey 805.  Neither side is remotely close to that price, but is paying that much worth it to have an extra player on your team 4/5 games.

The card was too cool not to make.  Features stats from another country and of course double sided batter/pitcher.

Would I actually use him in my roster? Probably not.  You are limited in the players you can acquire in actual baseball.  Therefore getting "2 guys" for the price of 1 is huge.  In Clutch though, you can have whoever you want, so it's not as big of a deal.  If I want a batter and pitcher as good as Ohtani, I just go grab em both.  Now if you're doing a Clutch draft with your friends, then he becomes more valuable because you get a top SP and batter in one pick.

But looking at it mathematically, his SP salary is standard.  He pitches 1/5 games and his salary reflects that.  However on the batter side, you are paying 100% salary for 80% games.  Also he has no Stadium card to take full advantage of.

Business Development/Gameplay & Balance for Clutch Cards

ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
(@mattinthehat)
Day 1 Supporter
12/02/2018 7:25 pm  

I am very interested to see the rest of the cards in the series. But I think that you could do some interesting roster construction that would make his card useful. (However squeezing Trout and him into the same team might be a chore.)

ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
(@mattinthehat)
Day 1 Supporter
13/02/2018 12:28 pm  

Thinking about this more. Will the roster construction rules be changed because of his card?  Can he be rostered as a SP #1 starter and on the four days he isn't pitching he can also hit?

ReplyQuote
EverettBAL
(@everettbal)
Triple-A
13/02/2018 1:13 pm  

So Ohtani frees up a roster spot, does this mean we can have a 5th bench player or ninth relief pitcher? Not sure either option is worth it.

ReplyQuote
Ahrensku
(@big-tuna)
Day 1 Supporter
15/02/2018 10:49 am  

In my eyes he's either a steal or a rip-off and I can't figure it out.  I'll probably build a team with and without him and see how I feel about it.  I was hoping that DHs could DH for players other than pitchers (like in Softball) but MLB rules says you have to hit for the pitcher.

The more I think about it, the more I think he's not worth it because he's not 805 points, he's 805 + whatever player you have to add to make a full 25 man roster (In 2017 would probably be Starlin Castro at 75 points). Plus you have to find a serviceable DH when he is pitching (unless you make your DH take the field so Ohtani has to hit, doubt the rules would allow that).

ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
(@mattinthehat)
Day 1 Supporter
15/02/2018 12:56 pm  

In my eyes he's either a steal or a rip-off and I can't figure it out.  I'll probably build a team with and without him and see how I feel about it.  I was hoping that DHs could DH for players other than pitchers (like in Softball) but MLB rules says you have to hit for the pitcher.

The more I think about it, the more I think he's not worth it because he's not 805 points, he's 805 + whatever player you have to add to make a full 25 man roster (In 2017 would probably be Starlin Castro at 75 points). Plus you have to find a serviceable DH when he is pitching (unless you make your DH take the field so Ohtani has to hit, doubt the rules would allow that).

I would agree with this. My thought is he's a good pitcher card (not 805 points good but....), plus he has a good hitting card as well. I want to use him on my team, but it will depend on what other players are in the set.

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
(@communitysalad)
Online League Champion
15/02/2018 10:23 pm  

I can't imagine anyone not drafting him #1 overall. You're getting Webb w/o icons and a blend of Hosmer & ASG Brantley all in one card.

If you're playing a casual one game, do not play him.

Season play is where it gets weird and tricky. You could potentially run a giant platoon system with 4 bench players and just DH whichever option is the best fit for that game. I think 2017 Marwin Gonzalez is the perfect compliment to Ohtani because he allows you to play with your lineup to get that best fit DH into your lineup.

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
(@communitysalad)
Online League Champion
16/02/2018 9:21 am  

For your consideration - a team featuring Shohei Ohtani

ReplyQuote
ATB
 ATB
(@atb)
Draft Pick
16/02/2018 1:49 pm  

Agreed.  More I think about it, he's not a good value--IF he's truly valued at his full value as a SP and his full value as a hitter.  If that's the case, you're paying full value for a SP and 4/5 of a hitter.  So at a minimum you're losing 1/5 of hitter value.

Factor in that you have to ADD another player to your roster (a min of 50 pts) to fill the 25th spot now.  Then consider that you'll need a guy that you're comfortable with DH'ing on the day he pitches, so you're likely to spend more on bench than you would otherwise...

With that said, based on the rules, he's a terrible value--and a predictably terrible value.  His value from an actual baseball player standpoint is that he can do both things.  So, in Clutch, he should be rewarded for that by having a decreased salary.  In short, this card is unusable except if you're going for the novelty factor.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share: