Offense "before pitch" card before Int Walk  

RSS

MikeTheRed
Day 1 Supporter
03/09/2017 11:39 am  

Offense plays something like Sweet Spot or even Late-Inning Fireworks.

Defense decided to intentionally walk the batter.

We played that any effects from  the card(s) used for the immediate at-bat disappeared for the next batter and cards played remained in discard pile.

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
Clutch Creator Admin
03/09/2017 5:32 pm  

They would have to announce the IBB before any cards are played.  I need to double check though.

Business Development/Gameplay & Balance for Clutch Cards

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
03/09/2017 6:30 pm  
Posted by: ClutchJordan

They would have to announce the IBB before any cards are played.  I need to double check though.

4.1: Before the Batter has entered batter’s box and/or any Strategy Cards have been played, the Manager on Defense may choose to Intentionally Walk the Batter (IBB).

If the defense decides to IBB because maybe the card was played too fast, then the card would go back into the manager's hand as if it was never played.

KC liked
ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
05/09/2017 7:24 am  
Posted by: MikeTheRed

Offense plays something like Sweet Spot or even Late-Inning Fireworks.

Defense decided to intentionally walk the batter.

We played that any effects from  the card(s) used for the immediate at-bat disappeared for the next batter and cards played remained in discard pile.

Speaking of Late Inning Fireworks and intentional walks: it is important to note, that playing Pitch Around doesn't stop the effects of Late Inning Fireworks, since an Intentional Walk doesn't count as a walk, per the rulebook.

KC liked
ReplyQuote
KC
 KC
Triple-A Customer
05/09/2017 3:33 pm  

Good catch! No pun intended... 😁

...Forever Royal...

ReplyQuote
MikeTheRed
Day 1 Supporter
05/09/2017 4:05 pm  

I honestly never thought to consult the rulebook on the Intentional Walk thing (thanks, Salad) but it seems that Late Inning Fireworks (should LIF be a common abbreviation?) cannot be played during the same at-bat as Pitch Around or any Intentional Walk.

"4.1. Intentional Walks
Before the Batter has entered batter’s box and/or any Strategy Cards have been played, the Manager on Defense may choose to Intentionally Walk the Batter (IBB). The Batter will automatically be moved to 1st base."

"Substitutions include changing Pitchers, Defensive Replacements, Pinch Hitters, and Pinch Runners. Substitutions must be made at the start of an At-Bat, before anything else happens."

"PINCH HITTER: When you send a Batter to the Batter’s Box, you may substitute him for someone on the Bench (he is referred to as a Pinch Hitter for this At-Bat). This Player remains in the game in place of the substituted Batter."

Can the defense Intentionally Walk a pinch hitter?

The manager on defense has to decide to issue an intentional walk "Before the Batter has entered batter’s box," but a pinch hitter comes in "when you send a batter to the batter's box."

The language seems to be a little inconsistent since we have "before" in one place and "when" in the other. Is the act of "when you send a batter to the batter's box" still during the timing phase of "before the batter has entered the batter's box?"

This may be a case where traditional baseball rules intuition is followed, but in the gaming world of rules junkies and language dissections, it should be presented in a way where there is no possible misinterpretation.

Edited: 2 months  ago

ClutchJordan liked
ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 2:12 am  
Posted by: MikeTheRed

I honestly never thought to consult the rulebook on the Intentional Walk thing (thanks, Salad) but it seems that Late Inning Fireworks (should LIF be a common abbreviation?) cannot be played during the same at-bat as Pitch Around or any Intentional Walk.

I know the rulebook says that Defense is allowed to play a card first, but the defense can also play a card after the offense does, right?  I remember some online league games that the defense responded to offensive cards.  If that's the case, then Pitch Around could be played after a LIF in the same at-bat.

It's before the pitch.  Defense passes on playing a strat.  Offense plays LIF.  Defense responds with Pitch Around.    (This exact situation happened twice during the online league games I played.  The first time, I failed to remember that iBB doesn't count as a walk, and we continued play as if the Pitch Around cancelled the LIF.  The second time it happened, a short discussion occurred, and I double-checked the rulebook and with Jordan to make sure that the Pitch Around didn't cancel the LIF.  In this occurrence, I let the manager take Pitch Around back to his hand due to the rule clarification.  Digressing a bit, also had a discussion about whether Back...Back...Back... can be played without a discard to just re-roll (it can't, at least one discard is required).

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register