August Roster Challenge  

RSS

CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
04/08/2017 1:02 pm  

This challenge is probably going to be the most difficult one yet, but I hope you are able to find some bargain players from it.

Let's see who can make the best 25-man roster with just 5000 points.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
04/08/2017 3:26 pm  

Here's my attempt. Excited about the bullpen and Hendricks is a pretty underrated card.

ClutchJordan liked
ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
08/08/2017 3:35 pm  

Thanks for posting this for August!  I got busy with my race.  I will try and build a 5000 pt roster soon

ReplyQuote
MikeTheRed
Day 1 Supporter
15/08/2017 11:37 am  

This is my favorite roster challenge so far.

The others were anything goes while trying to get the best X, Y or Z, where this one has a clear restriction on roster building.

Having more 10s than usual in the batting order is a necessary evil of this format but I'm still happy with the first half of the lineup and my varied handedness. And look at that defense! 13 IF, 11 OF whoa baby.

Something I learned from the Clutch Online League is that having a multi-inning reliever is an incredible convenience so I spent my RP cash on Iglesias and Nuno.  I'd be very happy if I could get by alternating those two every other game for an entire season.

Let's talk about a few midseason players I was able to squeeze in!

Castillo is AMAZING. 13 OB Switch Hitter with (A) Speed, BB on 5, GG & AS icons, +2 Clutch, 4 Fielding... the only thing I don't like about him is that he's a 2B and may cut in to some of my love for my favorite player Neil Walker.

Holliday is the best cheap 12 OB you can get. Only Montero comes in at a lower cost but Holliday's chart is wayyyy better. He will definitely be a favorite DH pick of mine.

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
16/08/2017 2:25 am  
Posted by: MikeTheRed

This is my favorite roster challenge so far.

The others were anything goes while trying to get the best X, Y or Z, where this one has a clear restriction on roster building.

Having more 10s than usual in the batting order is a necessary evil of this format but I'm still happy with the first half of the lineup and my varied handedness. And look at that defense! 13 IF, 11 OF whoa baby.

Something I learned from the Clutch Online League is that having a multi-inning reliever is an incredible convenience so I spent my RP cash on Iglesias and Nuno.  I'd be very happy if I could get by alternating those two every other game for an entire season.

Let's talk about a few midseason players I was able to squeeze in!

Castillo is AMAZING. 13 OB Switch Hitter with (A) Speed, BB on 5, GG & AS icons, +2 Clutch, 4 Fielding... the only thing I don't like about him is that he's a 2B and may cut in to some of my love for my favorite player Neil Walker.

Holliday is the best cheap 12 OB you can get. Only Montero comes in at a lower cost but Holliday's chart is wayyyy better. He will definitely be a favorite DH pick of mine.

Dang. This is a real good team.

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
29/08/2017 10:09 am  

Here's the team I threw together.  I might even tweak this into a 6000 point team.

Obviously I went speed here.  Against RHP, this team should have a decent lineup.  Wish I could have snuck another natural 12 OB in there though.  I will utilize strategy cards that focus on speed and the SB icon...and since there isn't much power, I'll try to utilize some small-ball tactics.  I skimped on pitching a bit, but tried to make it as well-rounded as I could.  That said, I suppose I could have went with a slightly cheaper SP1 with 5 CMD and spent the savings elsewhere.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I might toy around with CHI (N) Field, KC Stadium, or Florida Park instead of Texas Park.  But Texas park gives benefits to four players in my lineup, so that one seemed like the logical first choice.

I'd love to hear some comments and criticisms about this team.

ReplyQuote
MikeTheRed
Day 1 Supporter
29/08/2017 11:18 am  

@rsm

The batting order and rotation have to contain some lower OB & CMD in this format so all of these rosters look a little weak in spots.

Your batter charts are plenty fine to get on base when they get the advantage and your speed is amazing. Being aggressive on the basepaths can cause your team to run up a score against some of these other cheap teams.

High five on Hellickson and Shelby. 

I'm curious about how our teams would fare against each other since the speed is so lopsided with me packing 4 D's.

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
29/08/2017 2:02 pm  
Posted by: rsm162000

Here's the team I threw together.  I might even tweak this into a 6000 point team.

Obviously I went speed here.  Against RHP, this team should have a decent lineup.  Wish I could have snuck another natural 12 OB in there though.  I will utilize strategy cards that focus on speed and the SB icon...and since there isn't much power, I'll try to utilize some small-ball tactics.  I skimped on pitching a bit, but tried to make it as well-rounded as I could.  That said, I suppose I could have went with a slightly cheaper SP1 with 5 CMD and spent the savings elsewhere.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I might toy around with CHI (N) Field, KC Stadium, or Florida Park instead of Texas Park.  But Texas park gives benefits to four players in my lineup, so that one seemed like the logical first choice.

I'd love to hear some comments and criticisms about this team.

I think Texas is a good fit for what you have. KC of course is a good choice to pump your speed. I think Florida is really good for high OB teams and isn't playable in such a limited format.

Also I think you would end up giving a lot of games away with this bullpen. Especially since there aren't any 7IP pitchers in your rotation.

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
29/08/2017 2:51 pm  
Posted by: MikeTheRed

@rsm

The batting order and rotation have to contain some lower OB & CMD in this format so all of these rosters look a little weak in spots.

Your batter charts are plenty fine to get on base when they get the advantage and your speed is amazing. Being aggressive on the basepaths can cause your team to run up a score against some of these other cheap teams.

High five on Hellickson and Shelby. 

I'm curious about how our teams would fare against each other since the speed is so lopsided with me packing 4 D's.

Thanks Mike.  Perhaps one of these days we could play an exhibition?

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
29/08/2017 2:55 pm  
Posted by: CommunitySalad

I think Texas is a good fit for what you have. KC of course is a good choice to pump your speed. I think Florida is really good for high OB teams and isn't playable in such a limited format.

Also I think you would end up giving a lot of games away with this bullpen. Especially since there aren't any 7IP pitchers in your rotation.

I was thinking Florida might assist greatly with some Sac flies.  It would neutralize the 2nd base penalty, and help greatly with heading to 3rd or home.  Obviously this might fall into one of those "looks good on paper" ideas.

Yeah, you might be right.  I've already been thinking about ways to improve the bullpen.

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
30/08/2017 10:53 am  
Posted by: rsm162000

I was thinking Florida might assist greatly with some Sac flies.  It would neutralize the 2nd base penalty, and help greatly with heading to 3rd or home.  Obviously this might fall into one of those "looks good on paper" ideas.

But also if you're running Florida, you have to run a Miami OF. It makes a huge difference. I'll let you know my return on this team that I built with Yelich and six other 12+ OB guys.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register