MLB Showdown iOS  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 7:51 am  

Has anyone seen this video yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytwZ7uw9Z0

I saw this on a Showdown group on Facebook.  I think that would be awesome for Clutch someday.  And IMHO, more likely to happen than what's in the teaser video, since they don't presumably don't have the licensing to get that app up and going.

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 10:34 am  

Jordan, Michael, and Sean:  You should contact mgula57 on Reddit, who is the one doing the app.  Based on the comments I've read, he'd be willing to adapt that app to Clutch Baseball.  Just a thought.  If nothing else, it would be a good way to solo test a deck and such.

Edited: 2 months  ago

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 2:14 pm  

I would pay a few bucks for a Clutch version of that app....

Sittch and rsm162000 liked
ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 3:14 pm  
Posted by: mattinthehat

I would pay a few bucks for a Clutch version of that app....

ME TOO! Especially if it was multiplayer

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
Clutch Creator Admin
06/09/2017 4:14 pm  

So here's the challenge with an app.

Take Magic: The Gathering.  It has what I like to call "live turns."  That is, during each player's turn, either play can play cards.  They've been trying for a long time to go digital but it just hasn't happened.

Now take Hearthstone.  They have "dead turns."  During Player A's turn, only Player A can play cards.  This is why it works so well with an app and they obviously had to cut out a lot of classic CCG gameplay to achieve this.

Clutch has live turns.  More than any other game probably because it's never actually either player's "turn."  It's just an at-bat where one guy is batting with a swing roll and one guy is pitching with a pitch roll.  So when you add strategy cards into this, how would it work?  You'd need some sort of 5 second countdown where you can click "play a card" almost continuously.

What would most likely need to happen is some serious changes to the gameplay.  Like inning 1 both players can play strategy cards while theyre on Offense, inning 2 while on Defense, etc.  I haven't thought much about it tbh.

Business Development/Gameplay & Balance for Clutch Cards

ReplyQuote
KC
 KC
Triple-A Customer
06/09/2017 6:45 pm  

Hmm, an app sounds interesting. How might a collectible game work as an app? Purchase digital starters and boosters? Trading permitted? 🤔

...Forever Royal...

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
07/09/2017 9:46 am  
Posted by: ClutchJordan

Take Magic: The Gathering.  It has what I like to call "live turns."  That is, during each player's turn, either play can play cards.  They've been trying for a long time to go digital but it just hasn't happened.

Now take Hearthstone.  They have "dead turns."  During Player A's turn, only Player A can play cards.  This is why it works so well with an app and they obviously had to cut out a lot of classic CCG gameplay to achieve this.

Clutch has live turns.  More than any other game probably because it's never actually either player's "turn."  It's just an at-bat where one guy is batting with a swing roll and one guy is pitching with a pitch roll.  So when you add strategy cards into this, how would it work?  You'd need some sort of 5 second countdown where you can click "play a card" almost continuously.

What would most likely need to happen is some serious changes to the gameplay.  Like inning 1 both players can play strategy cards while theyre on Offense, inning 2 while on Defense, etc.  I haven't thought much about it tbh.

I appreciate the candor.  I can see it would take some serious work on the part of the programmer, but I don't think there would have to be serious changes to the gameplay.

While there aren't turns, there are stages of an at-bat/inning, that make it easy to set up the timing for playing cards or making managerial decisions.  The Defense gets to play cards first, so that helps with timing as well.  And looking at the strats & managerial decisions, every card (at it's root) can be played in one of the following stages (usually with some kind of conditional trigger):

1. Between Innings
  2. Entering Batters Box
    1. Intentional Walk, stealing, sac bunt, etc.
  3. Before Pitch
    1. Infield In, etc.
  4. Before Swing
  5. After Swing
    1. Double Play Attempt, etc.

I can see some sort of "Play Card" or "Pass" button for each stage (or a timed play card button), and perhaps to speed up gameplay, the app can scan your hand and automatically Pass on the stages that you can't play a card during.  An issue might arise about whether a card resolves immediately after playing it, in the instance that the other manager responds to the first card with another card (since that topic is still a little hazy).  But I can see this being a doable app, sometime in the future.

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
BearDownForWhat
Day 1 Supporter
09/09/2017 3:22 am  

I didn't quite follow the "live turns" vs "dead turns" thing. I might be playing clutch wrong. I thought there was back and forth with defense getting to go first. In other words, defense decides to make a pitching change, offense decides to PH, defense decides to IBB, offense decides to sac-bunt, defense decides to play a card, offense decides to play a card, pitch, card turns, swing, card turns, etc. etc.

ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
Clutch Creator Admin
09/09/2017 3:24 pm  
Posted by: BearDownForWhat

I didn't quite follow the "live turns" vs "dead turns" thing. I might be playing clutch wrong. I thought there was back and forth with defense getting to go first. In other words, defense decides to make a pitching change, offense decides to PH, defense decides to IBB, offense decides to sac-bunt, defense decides to play a card, offense decides to play a card, pitch, card turns, swing, card turns, etc. etc.

No you're correct, that's live turns.  In Hearthstone, when it is Player A's turn, only he can take actions.  Draws a card, plays cards down, attacks, etc.  Then he ends his turn and Player B begins.  There's never any need for "do you want to play a card now?"

ReplyQuote
Ahrensku
Day 1 Supporter
12/09/2017 2:35 pm  

Honestly since this game is more in depth than showdown an automated solution makes even more sense.  Sometimes its super hard to remember the stadium and the momentum cards and the power die.  The app could remember it for us.

And as for the live turns thing, its really no different than playing on line.  Cards that were playable would be lit up and cards that were unable to be played at the moment would be grayed.  Then a no cards button.  And with each card you'd have options (ie Back Back Back or the strat card that doubles fielding for discarding cards).

The trickiest part to me is making sure that people have the cards they say they do to play in the app.  Maybe a barcode scanner or something. Want to make sure that people pay for the product.

rsm162000 liked
ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
Clutch Creator Admin
12/09/2017 8:52 pm  

Man he really nailed that MVP vibe with the song.  That punk/alt/upbeat sound.  That's what I'm most impressed with.

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
13/09/2017 7:56 am  

Man he really nailed that MVP vibe with the song.  That punk/alt/upbeat sound.  That's what I'm most impressed with.

The Von Bondies - "C'mon C'mon"
Used to be the opening song for the TV show "Rescue Me."  It was also on the MVP Baseball 2004 soundtrack.  It's a good song.

Looking at the Reddit thread again, it appears he has working strategy cards for the app, it's just not highlighted in the video.  Hopefully this can become a Clutch reality someday.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBShowdown/comments/6x3c9d/mlb_showdown_ios_project/

ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
Clutch Creator Admin
13/09/2017 10:01 am  

It's impressive no doubt and we've reached out to him about where he thinks he can take this idea.

The main issues are two things - strategy card integration.  I'm curious to see how it works.  And then elephant in the room is licensing.  Now I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that the Topps stranglehold only applies to physical baseball cards.  I know OOTP uses both MLBPA players and MLB teams.  However, after getting those licenses and all the pictures you'd need you're looking about probably $50,000-$75,000.

rsm162000 liked
ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
Day 1 Supporter
13/09/2017 10:42 am  

It's impressive no doubt and we've reached out to him about where he thinks he can take this idea.

The main issues are two things - strategy card integration.  I'm curious to see how it works.  And then elephant in the room is licensing.  Now I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that the Topps stranglehold only applies to physical baseball cards.  I know OOTP uses both MLBPA players and MLB teams.  However, after getting those licenses and all the pictures you'd need you're looking about probably $50,000-$75,000.

In OOTP 18 they still don't have player pictures, just names and team logos. They have 3D models that roughly resemble the person if you squint.

I will note that I'm fine with the current form of the cards (no picture) being used in a hypothetical app. All I care is that you could play a game of Clutch digitally.

ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
Clutch Creator Admin
13/09/2017 2:43 pm  
Posted by: mattinthehat

In OOTP 18 they still don't have player pictures, just names and team logos. They have 3D models that roughly resemble the person if you squint.

I will note that I'm fine with the current form of the cards (no picture) being used in a hypothetical app. All I care is that you could play a game of Clutch digitally.

For our purposes no licensing is fine, I was just curious to see what he had in mind for the project seeing as he included full licensing in his mock-up.

rsm162000 and Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register