What other Clutch game would you like to see?  

RSS

ClutchJordan
Clutch Creator Admin
12/04/2017 12:17 am  

So there's obviously Clutch Baseball, but what else? Clutch Hockey? Clutch Basketball?  Bonus points: how would it work?

Business Development/Gameplay & Balance for Clutch Cards

KC and EverettBAL liked
ReplyQuote
MikeTheRed
Day 1 Supporter
12/04/2017 11:03 am  

Clutch Everything!

I see what's going on here, crowdsource all the mental work and then sit back with your cigars counting fat stacks.

Seriously though, I think most sports would be difficult to convert to a Clutch-type environment; baseball works so smoothly because of the 1v1 match where a single batter faces a single pitcher to advance the game.

I know absolutely nothing about the NFL Showdown game that WotC had for literally a couple years so can't say if that would translate at all to a Clutch model. I'll take my own original stab at American football though. You could still have individual cards for every player that add bonuses depending on the play called; maybe to limit cards in the play area you eliminate individual linemen and just have a single card for offensive line and defensive line. Then for example, I'm on offense and have my Line, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE out there and call a play, something simple like run to the right or pass to the left. Then roll a d20 comparing offense total to whatever defensive player(s) are on that side to advance yardage equal to the difference in the die rolls. So if I roll a 5 and my offense bonuses are 10 equals 15 vs defense numbers of 10, I advance 5 yards, kept track of on some sort of 0-50-0 slider and you'd have to also keep track of downs. Plays could be complicated through use of strategy cards adding bonuses for a play-action or hail mary. Maybe defensive players could be Line, CB, CB, LB, LB, S to make it 6v6 or add FB and 2nd Safety to make 7v7?

Hockey would be a tough one to translate to a card game. It's so fast with so much back and forth. No 3 outs per half inning or football downs to switch from offense to defense. There is a hockey deckbuilder out there from Cryptozoic (not sure if they ever produced any expansions) but they pretty much took their superhero game and adapted it from heroes vs one supervillain to position players vs one goalie. Would Clutch Hockey be Center vs Center to see who gets the advantage and then the team with advantage gets to roll against the opposing goalie? How many rolls/attempts do they get before another faceoff? How do we work in penalties?

Basketball and Hockey have similarities and differences but could potentially follow the same type of model depending what that actually looks like. Similar in that you have 5v5 (except for hockey goalies) and have substitutions (inning/minute limits?), penalties, etc. But the scoring is so different; basketball has a ton and hockey has very little (comparatively).

Those are some of my initial thoughts on converting other sports to Clutch.

ReplyQuote
fightcitymayor
Day 1 Supporter
12/04/2017 11:59 am  

Clutch Hockey would be amazing, and would fill a market need.

Once upon a time I didn't think a good hockey board/card game was possible, but there have been a few games recently that give you a reasonably decent hockey experience without a lot of overhead or number-crunching.  Shoot-out Hockey actually compares team values to decide if a chance happened, then works backwards to assign the goals/assists.  Hockey Blast (from Plaay.com) has individual player cards, but also establishes team values at a high level, then assigns individual characteristics from there, and has line-changes, penalties, some player-interaction, and manages to do so without a lot of complexity.  

Now the issue becomes both of those games are good, but aren't like SABR-faithful stat recreations, but each provides a quick hockey experience, which is really what Clutch Hockey should ideally focus on.  Not being a super-deep stat experience, but the same sort of card-playing, modifier-adding, real-player-using, social experience that Clutch Baseball is.

ReplyQuote
EverettBAL
Triple-A
12/04/2017 12:37 pm  

Well, a really good American Football game just came out, but the market is pretty shallow, especially as far as actual true sims go. I'd love a clutch football.

ReplyQuote
BearDownForWhat
Day 1 Supporter
12/04/2017 4:14 pm  
Posted by: EverettBAL

Well, a really good American Football game just came out, but the market is pretty shallow, especially as far as actual true sims go. I'd love a clutch football.

What's the american football card game?

EverettBAL liked
ReplyQuote
EverettBAL
Triple-A
12/04/2017 6:37 pm  
Posted by: BearDownForWhat

Posted by: EverettBAL

What's the american football card game?

It's not a card game, it's a board game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194923/techno-bowl-arcade-football-unplugged

It is legitimately amazing. A little on the pricy side, but amazing. It's 7on7 or 8on8 depending on which you prefer, but yet it feels more realistic than 90% of sports games I've played. Just realize it's less of a sim and more of a game.

KC liked
ReplyQuote
Ahrensku
Day 1 Supporter
21/04/2017 8:25 am  

Honestly I'd like to see none right now. I'm not made of money and wouldn't partake in another game. I want to see baseball expand to be its best before moving onto other ventures. 

Sittch and EverettBAL liked
ReplyQuote
DiamondNRG
Day 1 Supporter
22/04/2017 6:55 pm  
Posted by: Ahrensku

Honestly I'd like to see none right now. I'm not made of money and wouldn't partake in another game. I want to see baseball expand to be its best before moving onto other ventures. 

This.  And more player cards.

EverettBAL liked
ReplyQuote
EverettBAL
Triple-A
25/04/2017 1:47 pm  
Posted by: DiamondNRG

GIVE ME MY MANCINI CARD

ReplyQuote
KC
 KC
Triple-A Customer
10/08/2017 7:48 pm  

How about Clutch MiLB? 🤔

👍

...Forever Royal...

ReplyQuote
billkoff
Single-A Customer
02/09/2017 12:32 am  
Posted by: DiamondNRG

+1

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register