Page 3 / 3 Prev
  RSS

nostalgia_martyr
Single-A Customer
05/09/2017 9:04 pm  
Posted by: alacy52
Posted by: nostalgia_martyr

IT GETS AWAY - Offensive card.

Before the pitch, anytime there is a runner on 2nd, 3rd, or both.

A mistake pitch automatically scores a runner from 3rd and/or a runner from 2nd if the player has a SB icon.

No defensive throw may be attempted.

This card remains active until the inning is over or the pitcher records a K.

This already basically exists with Wild Thing.

Yes, sort of. What I'm proposing though would score a runner on 2nd with a SB icon, which WILD THING doesn't do. Also, it stays in effect until the inning ends or a K is pitched. So, a tad more drama could ensue. Maybe it could only be used when the team on offense is losing, just to keep things from getting too nutty.

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 8:23 am  

Willed Himself Into Scoring Position
Uncommon
Play after a 1B result, with no runner on 2nd Base after the 1B
If the runner at 1st Base is (A) or (B) Speed, the runner steals 2nd Base without a defensive throw.  If the runner at 1st Base is any other speed, make a Stolen Base Attempt with +5 to his Speed for the attempt.

Obviously the wording needs to be cleaned up (and a shorter title), but I thought this card would be a great replacement for the Single+ aspect of Showdown (a single and an automatic stolen base if 2nd is open, for those who are unfamiliar with Single+).  Could even add a bonus for the SB icon too.

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 2:07 pm  

Just a suggestion for the verbiage on the HIT AND RUN strategy card.

It says, "Based on your batter's result, your baserunner (on 1st)... GB: Advances automatically to 2nd base (no double play may be attempted)."

Now, I take this as meaning that if the hitter rolls a GB, they are out. Duh. It's a GB. GB always means out for the hitter (unless the defense decides try and throw a forced runner at 2nd attempting to reach 3rd base). However, my friend was really trying to stretch the interpretation of this and say that his man on 1st goes to 2nd automatically (which is true and fair) BUT that his hitter also reaches 1st base. He tried to argue that the term "no double play may be attempted" meant that I couldn't get his hitter out at 1st, because when a GB is hit with a runner on 1st, the initial throw goes to 2nd and is followed by the relay to first.

Now, I know he is wrong and I was right. However, maybe a little extra explanation on the card could help some foolish friends from trying to argue themselves out of an....out.

The base interpretation is that an out is an out. The rulebook dictates the extra effects that occur between the 3 different out options. I would direct any disputes regarding the effects of an out to the rulebook and the double play/extra base options.

ReplyQuote
Ahrensku
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 4:26 pm  

Just had a situation where Runner on 2B, less than 2 outs, Lefty Shift played.  My guy rolled a 1B, and the check passed so it was a GB.  That runner on 2B should auto advance to 3B.  The ball obviously went to the right side.  Just a little realism tweak on a card.

ClutchJordan liked
ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Day 1 Supporter
06/09/2017 6:29 pm  
Posted by: Ahrensku

Just had a situation where Runner on 2B, less than 2 outs, Lefty Shift played.  My guy rolled a 1B, and the check passed so it was a GB.  That runner on 2B should auto advance to 3B.  The ball obviously went to the right side.  Just a little realism tweak on a card.

Sounds like a good situation to make Lefty Shift 2.0

ReplyQuote
nostalgia_martyr
Single-A Customer
08/09/2017 12:13 pm  
Posted by: CommunitySalad

Just a suggestion for the verbiage on the HIT AND RUN strategy card.

It says, "Based on your batter's result, your baserunner (on 1st)... GB: Advances automatically to 2nd base (no double play may be attempted)."

Now, I take this as meaning that if the hitter rolls a GB, they are out. Duh. It's a GB. GB always means out for the hitter (unless the defense decides try and throw a forced runner at 2nd attempting to reach 3rd base). However, my friend was really trying to stretch the interpretation of this and say that his man on 1st goes to 2nd automatically (which is true and fair) BUT that his hitter also reaches 1st base. He tried to argue that the term "no double play may be attempted" meant that I couldn't get his hitter out at 1st, because when a GB is hit with a runner on 1st, the initial throw goes to 2nd and is followed by the relay to first.

Now, I know he is wrong and I was right. However, maybe a little extra explanation on the card could help some foolish friends from trying to argue themselves out of an....out.

The base interpretation is that an out is an out. The rulebook dictates the extra effects that occur between the 3 different out options. I would direct any disputes regarding the effects of an out to the rulebook and the double play/extra base options.

You sound like person that uses common sense. No offense to my non-forum-using friend, but he was throwing his out the window in an act of desperation to avoid a 3rd out while losing. I told him over and over that "GB always means the batter is out." He still argued that in his situation it meant that he hits the ball on the ground but still reaches base because my infield couldn't get the runner at 1st heading to 2nd, and by default can't get the batter heading to 1st. Maybe something in the rulebook under the GROUND BALL entry in the GLOSSARY section could state that a GB is always an out for the batter (unless a card is played that turns it into a 1B). Just so desperate people can't ruin the game by arguing something ridiculous.

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
08/09/2017 4:23 pm  

You sound like person that uses common sense. No offense to my non-forum-using friend, but he was throwing his out the window in an act of desperation to avoid a 3rd out while losing. I told him over and over that "GB always means the batter is out." He still argued that in his situation it meant that he hits the ball on the ground but still reaches base because my infield couldn't get the runner at 1st heading to 2nd, and by default can't get the batter heading to 1st. Maybe something in the rulebook under the GROUND BALL entry in the GLOSSARY section could state that a GB is always an out for the batter (unless a card is played that turns it into a 1B). Just so desperate people can't ruin the game by arguing something ridiculous.

By the sounds of it, your friend doesn't know what a "hit and run" is in actual baseball.  🙁   In all likelihood, the runner is almost to 2nd at the time of GB contact (because of the steal attempt at the time the pitch is thrown), so the defense would simply throw to 1st for the easy out.
Your friend should read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_and_run_(baseball)

I can see how this might be confusing for a non-baseball fan, but in the glossary, it says says "GB (GROUND BALL): When a Batter hits a GB, he’s out. Additional outs may occur, and baserunners may potentially advance. See 3.10.C / 3.11."   [NOTE: heads up to the Clutch guys, those references should probably be 3.12.C and 3.13, I think?]

Based on the glossary's definition, I'd say that the rulebook already says what you're asking for.

Also, the card says right on it, "Based on your Batter’s result"  It's not changing the Batter's result, it's triggering a result for the baserunner based on what happened to the Batter.

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote
Ahrensku
Day 1 Supporter
17/09/2017 2:42 pm  

Missed the cutoff man.

Play after an unsuccessful throw home.

All runners on first and 2nd advance 1 base if the base in front of them is open. 

Simulating throwing the ball all the way home. 

Catastrophe liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev

Working

Please Login or Register