Strategy Card Suggestion Thread  

Page 2 / 3 Prev Next
  RSS

CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
17/07/2017 2:43 pm  
Posted by: MikeTheRed

Not sure if these are the best effects but these real game instances aren't in Clutch yet.

MOUND VISIT: Play after a run scores. +2 to the next pitch.

MOUND CONFERENCE: Play before the pitch. +5 to any defensive play during this at-bat.

Mound visit could double down as a +1 to the first pitch if you bring in an RP this inning, to emulate that mound visits are sometimes used to give relievers more time to warm up.

ReplyQuote
rsm162000
Day 1 Supporter
18/07/2017 3:36 pm  
Posted by: Fredrick Moore
Posted by: MikeTheRed

Not sure if these are the best effects but these real game instances aren't in Clutch yet.

MOUND VISIT: Play after a run scores. +2 to the next pitch.

MOUND CONFERENCE: Play before the pitch. +5 to any defensive play during this at-bat.

Mound visit could double down as a +1 to the first pitch if you bring in an RP this inning, to emulate that mound visits are sometimes used to give relievers more time to warm up.

DEEP BREATH AND FOCUS: Play during a Clutch Moment, or after a walk or hit that leaves a RISP: +2 to the next Pitch.
<W><MVP>: Factor the Pitcher's Clutch into the Pitch, if positive.

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
23/08/2017 9:46 pm  

I would love to see an Arguing Pitches card. Play after a K on the pitcher's chart: Batter is ejected.

I know we're constantly thinking of ways to make the bench relevant and the possibility of an ejection is one sure fire way.

ReplyQuote
BearDownForWhat
Day 1 Supporter
23/08/2017 11:29 pm  
Posted by: CommunitySalad

I would love to see an Arguing Pitches card. Play after a K on the pitcher's chart: Batter is ejected.

I know we're constantly thinking of ways to make the bench relevant and the possibility of an ejection is one sure fire way.

I would rather it be on a K on the batter's card. Kind of adds sting. Could be too powerful if it's pitcher K...especially if you have an SP with a good K zone. Or perhaps make it only applicable after a certain inning. A guy probably wouldn't argue balls and strikes vehemently the first time through the lineup. That kind of aggravation builds as opposed to being instantaneous...unless the ump  is the intolerable Joe West and he has the tolerance of a 2 year old.

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
KC
 KC
Triple-A Customer
23/08/2017 11:35 pm  

Interesting idea, I like it. 

...Forever Royal...

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
24/08/2017 1:27 am  

Or even make this a neutral card so either the batter or pitcher can be ejected 

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
24/08/2017 11:13 am  
Posted by: BearDownForWhat

I would rather it be on a K on the batter's card. Kind of adds sting. Could be too powerful if it's pitcher K...especially if you have an SP with a good K zone. Or perhaps make it only applicable after a certain inning. A guy probably wouldn't argue balls and strikes vehemently the first time through the lineup. That kind of aggravation builds as opposed to being instantaneous...unless the ump  is the intolerable Joe West and he has the tolerance of a 2 year old.

My initial thought was batter's chart to balance the power a bit, but I put pitchers for 2 reasons:

1. If you make it a rare, it can only be ran once and you have like a 3% chance of drawing it.

2. The way I see the game is that a roll on the pitcher's chart means the pitcher threw the ball where he wanted. Whereas a roll on the batter's chart is something that's easier to hit. In a baseball game, a batter wouldn't argue over a pitch that's very hittable. Mostly those pitches that paint the corners.

Perhaps a good balancing factor would be: Play after 2nd K on pitcher's chart. That would require stat keeping though and I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

ReplyQuote
Catastrophe
Inaugural Tournament Champion
24/08/2017 3:58 pm  

Eliminating a Batter from someone's Lineup with a Defense or Neutral card seems way too powerful. Ejecting your opponent's Mike Trout to get him replaced with Owings or Flaherty? Not cool.

Because the Batter is the one who's Arguing, what if you made it an Offense card? In many instances the Offense gets fired up after ejections, so you could make it, "Batter who just struck out is ejected from the game. Your Batters' OB are +1 for the remainder of this Inning. (This card may only be played only once per game, per Manager.)"

Another rough idea for a card, "Both Benches Warned": Play after the lowest BB on Pitcher chart. Batter is HBP and both Benches are warned. Keep this card in play. For remainder of the game, on lowest BB on Pitcher or Batter chart, batter is HBP and Pitcher is ejected from the game.
I realize this is is probably way out of whack but could maybe be some kind of house rule... or a tournament format! "Bad Blood", where each game starts with the above warning and effects.

Debatable strike zones now have me thinking of a new type of Strategy card. I dunno what to call it, but something that can be played prior to the first pitch of the game that stays in play for the entire game (or until another card negates it). It would have to be separate from the Strategy deck, though maybe if you use one of these cards, your Strategy deck has to be -5 cards, or maybe you can only have a maximum of 6 Strategy cards in your hand, etc. to offset the fact you played such a card at the beginning. Some ideas:
"Bad Blood": See above.
"Pitcher Friendly Strike Zone": Batters K 1 number higher.
"Sunny Day": Outfield must make a Defensive Play on highest Fly Balls on Pitcher or Batter chart. If Defensive Play fails, result of Swing is 1B.
"Joe West At The Plate": Whenever a Batter strikes out, roll the power die. If the result is 1-2, the Batter is ejected for arguing pitches.

Patiently waiting for the Omar Vizquel 1999 Career Year card - .333/.397/.436 - AS, GG

Sittch liked
ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
Day 1 Supporter
24/08/2017 4:04 pm  

TOOTBLAN Card (For those unfamiliar with the term here is a link)

It is a DEF card that you would use after a successful advance a runner roll. Play the card and the DEF rolls, a 1-15 the base runner is still safe 16-20 the base runner is out.

It is a fun card that touches on a fan stat. It is pretty uncommon, but allows for the fact that base runners aren't always perfect and are susceptible to having mental errors.

Sittch and KC liked
ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
Online League Champion
24/08/2017 6:54 pm  
Posted by: Catastrophe

Eliminating a Batter from someone's Lineup with a Defense or Neutral card seems way too powerful. Ejecting your opponent's Mike Trout to get him replaced with Owings or Flaherty? Not cool.

Because the Batter is the one who's Arguing, what if you made it an Offense card? In many instances the Offense gets fired up after ejections, so you could make it, "Batter who just struck out is ejected from the game. Your Batters' OB are +1 for the remainder of this Inning. (This card may only be played only once per game, per Manager.)"

Another rough idea for a card, "Both Benches Warned": Play after the lowest BB on Pitcher chart. Batter is HBP and both Benches are warned. Keep this card in play. For remainder of the game, on lowest BB on Pitcher or Batter chart, batter is HBP and Pitcher is ejected from the game.
I realize this is is probably way out of whack but could maybe be some kind of house rule... or a tournament format! "Bad Blood", where each game starts with the above warning and effects.

Debatable strike zones now have me thinking of a new type of Strategy card. I dunno what to call it, but something that can be played prior to the first pitch of the game that stays in play for the entire game (or until another card negates it). It would have to be separate from the Strategy deck, though maybe if you use one of these cards, your Strategy deck has to be -5 cards, or maybe you can only have a maximum of 6 Strategy cards in your hand, etc. to offset the fact you played such a card at the beginning. Some ideas:
"Bad Blood": See above.
"Pitcher Friendly Strike Zone": Batters K 1 number higher.
"Sunny Day": Outfield must make a Defensive Play on highest Fly Balls on Pitcher or Batter chart. If Defensive Play fails, result of Swing is 1B.
"Joe West At The Plate": Whenever a Batter strikes out, roll the power die. If the result is 1-2, the Batter is ejected for arguing pitches.

The whole reason behind it is that people load up their lineup and leave their benches barren. I think you would get a lot more competitive games if people put some stock into the bench because a player could be removed at any time. Plus ejecting a top player is not much different than playing Got His Number, which effectively ruins a lineup.

And making it an offensive card would be unplayable unless you're desperate for runs in the 9th inning.

Both Benches Warned is interesting except that the majority of cards (both pitchers and batters) only have one walk roll.

I like the idea of limiting strategy cards. I think that would make a fun stadium card.

ReplyQuote
alacy52
Day 1 Supporter
25/08/2017 4:20 pm  

Showdown had a card for ejections. For the offense after a K on either chart you'd roll a die. 1-5 the batter is ejected, 6-20 the next time you roll a K you could discard it to change the result to a walk. There was also a defensive version that could get the pitcher ejected.

ReplyQuote
nostalgia_martyr
Single-A Customer
01/09/2017 2:45 am  

Just a suggestion for the verbiage on the HIT AND RUN strategy card.

It says, "Based on your batter's result, your baserunner (on 1st)... GB: Advances automatically to 2nd base (no double play may be attempted)."

Now, I take this as meaning that if the hitter rolls a GB, they are out. Duh. It's a GB. GB always means out for the hitter (unless the defense decides try and throw a forced runner at 2nd attempting to reach 3rd base). However, my friend was really trying to stretch the interpretation of this and say that his man on 1st goes to 2nd automatically (which is true and fair) BUT that his hitter also reaches 1st base. He tried to argue that the term "no double play may be attempted" meant that I couldn't get his hitter out at 1st, because when a GB is hit with a runner on 1st, the initial throw goes to 2nd and is followed by the relay to first.

Now, I know he is wrong and I was right. However, maybe a little extra explanation on the card could help some foolish friends from trying to argue themselves out of an....out.

KC liked
ReplyQuote
KC
 KC
Triple-A Customer
01/09/2017 2:27 pm  

Strategy cards are what make this game sing in my opinion. I welcome these ideas, but would also hope these cards can be purchased as a set. Makes it so much easier to bring other players into the game.

...Forever Royal...

ReplyQuote
nostalgia_martyr
Single-A Customer
05/09/2017 11:14 am  

IT GETS AWAY - Offensive card.

Before the pitch, anytime there is a runner on 2nd, 3rd, or both.

A mistake pitch automatically scores a runner from 3rd and/or a runner from 2nd if the player has a SB icon.

No defensive throw may be attempted.

This card remains active until the inning is over or the pitcher records a K.

KC liked
ReplyQuote
alacy52
Day 1 Supporter
05/09/2017 7:33 pm  
Posted by: nostalgia_martyr

IT GETS AWAY - Offensive card.

Before the pitch, anytime there is a runner on 2nd, 3rd, or both.

A mistake pitch automatically scores a runner from 3rd and/or a runner from 2nd if the player has a SB icon.

No defensive throw may be attempted.

This card remains active until the inning is over or the pitcher records a K.

This already basically exists with Wild Thing.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register