Non-Official Online Draft Winter League 17-18  

RSS

MikeTheRed
(@mikethered)
Day 1 Supporter
27/10/2017 1:40 pm  

Separate thread for anyone interested in a community-run online draft league over the winter.

This will be a Draft league, probably done in a slow/offline draft format, with everyone making their picks via email.

I think it'd be best to allow a Named player to only belong to one owner - so if Owner #1 chooses Base Set Mike Trout, Owner #2 cannot choose ASG Mike Trout. Then the Mike Trout owner can choose to use whichever card he chooses. I'd even be fine if they swapped between games.

To keep this first venture simple I'd also vote to have this be a no-salary league and let the big guns come out to play.

Other things to consider: Will we allow trading? Perhaps someone ends up drafting too many LH bats and wants to make a deal. I'd be all for this.

I wonder if we could setup a fantasy baseball league on one of the common sites and manually build the rosters to easily keep track of who has who. Otherwise we could do a shareable online document.

This will be running during the same period as the expected Official Clutch Online Winter League, so please keep that in mind before you commit to this second league - I'd much rather the Official league get more love if you have to make a choice between the two.

All discussion is welcome!

ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
(@mattinthehat)
Day 1 Supporter
27/10/2017 2:56 pm  

Love all of this.

As much as I love the idea of trades, that might cause too much work and strife.

With all the effort involved in drafting how long of a season do you think? 

ReplyQuote
Catastrophe
(@catastrophe)
Inaugural Tournament Champion
27/10/2017 6:55 pm  

Offline drafts can be efficient. Set the clock at X amount of hours per pick (6-24 depending on the day?), and if you make your pick quickly, the next player can choose right away. For as often as the people interested in this league probably check the Forums, I bet an offline draft would be done within a week, especially with no salary cap. I'd kinda want to see a separate draft for Stadiums (before Players are chosen) so there's also diversity in parks.

I'd propose a short "season", or even to run this as a drawn-out tournament (I know, I know, "says the guy who has won a tournament"). But since this 'Draft' idea hasn't been done before (at least among the Forum community), maybe we make it as short and sweet as we can to see how it goes.

The trading players idea is a fun one as well. As with most fantasy leagues, I suspect there wouldn't be many trades, because your guys are "your guys", right? But I wonder if having any unclaimed players in a Free Agent pool would also be a good option. As Mike suggested, we could easily keep track of who owns who by putting the rosters on a fantasy baseball site. Then you could see which players you'd like to trade for (or do Add/Drops via a yet-to-be-determined system). But that would require us to be a LOT more strict on how soon games are played. Otherwise I might decide, "Oh, my next opposing SP is a LHP, I'm gonna wait to schedule this game until I can do an Add/Drop to replace this above-average DH for one who destroys lefties."

In any event, it looks like we're already up to 3 players. Who else is in?!

Patiently waiting for the Omar Vizquel 1999 Career Year card - .333/.397/.436 - AS, GG, SB

ReplyQuote
mattinthehat
(@mattinthehat)
Day 1 Supporter
27/10/2017 7:51 pm  

I think if it is a short season/tournament then we shouldn't do trades or adding/dropping. To me that tests your drafting ability and how you build a team on the fly and not always getting your top pick.

Also a live draft is a big bit to chew, adding trades and add/drops is just another big task. Plus unlike fantasy baseball it is not like cards will get better or worse. 

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
(@communitysalad)
Online League Champion
28/10/2017 1:41 pm  

I would be down for a draft tournament. Trying to do two leagues at once feels like a tall task.

ReplyQuote
Catastrophe
(@catastrophe)
Inaugural Tournament Champion
29/10/2017 3:22 pm  

Small tourney might be the way to go. Limit it to 6-8 teams, go round robin or 5 random opponents (SP 1-5), and then a 2-team championship series or 4-team playoff series. Mike's checking out an indy fantasy site to see if that would work for an offline/non-live draft, or if we should just roll with a shared spreadsheet.

Patiently waiting for the Omar Vizquel 1999 Career Year card - .333/.397/.436 - AS, GG, SB

ReplyQuote
Apojar
(@apojar)
Day 1 Supporter
01/11/2017 11:43 pm  

I'd be game for a draft league!

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
(@communitysalad)
Online League Champion
02/11/2017 6:34 pm  

Any update on this?