Who You Should Start With For Each Stadium  

RSS

CommunitySalad
(@communitysalad)
Online League Champion
25/10/2017 3:12 am  

Hi all- with Winter League right around the corner, I wanted to share an idea that might help you form your teams. The following are the players I think you should choose when building your roster AFTER knowing what your stadium is. For example, when I received St. Louis as my stadium for online league, the very first player I made sure I added was Matt Carpenter (*spoiler alert*). So here is who I have for all 32 stadiums:

Arizona - base set Goldschmidt (635) - Simply put: he's phenomenal. Great hitter, has speed, top fielder and circumnavigates the stadium effect. Worth every bit of salary. (Honorable mention: Jake Lamb [285])

Atlanta - Freeman (490)/ Verlander (575): This is entirely up to whether you like to build your team around hitters or pitchers. While Freeman gives you the advantage of the park and a cheaper/better-chart Rizzo, Verlander's value shoots through the roof by removing his biggest downside: his 1-2 x-zone. (Honorable mention: base set Inciarte [435])

Baltimore – Britton (335): The reason why Britton is the choice here is because Baltimore doesn't have any great SPs. He also gets a nod because he shuts down lefties and then shuts down the stadium's effect if the offense tries to play the advantage. (Honorable mention: Tillman [330])

Boston - Betts (AS – 560, base - 470): The reason either version is the choice is because they give and take. AS version has higher OB and speed, but has worse chart and loses more important icons. Regardless, you're looking at a 14 or 15, respectfully, for Betts to double at Boston. (Honorable mention: Pedroia [465])

Chicago (A) – Frazier (250): A cleanup hitter's chart for 250? Sign me up. The 2 fielding at both 1B and 3B is a nice kick to help lay a foundation for your defense. (Honorable mention: Abreu [285])

Chicago (N) – Heyward (365): The only Chicago (N) player that this stadium gives an advantage to with the best defense you can find at LF/RF. (Honorable mention: Jarrod Dyson [360 - has 2 triple slots, speed A and +4 defense])

Cincinnati – Iglesias (270): Cincy's stadium doesn't kick in until late and Iglesias' 3IP makes him an attractive selection in an unattractive pool of Cincy RPs. (Honorable mention: Diaz [110pt for a 4 command RP is decent])

Cleveland – Ramirez (530): No A speed on Cleveland, but his 1-3 out and 13 OB makes him most likely to get on base and he isn't subject to the park's effect if you choose to steal. (Honorable mention: Lindor [base – 415, AS - 380])

Colorado – Ottavino (225): How much would you pay for 5 R+1 command, 1-18 out, and 1 x-zone? How about 225? The only other card that holds those credentials is Jose Fernandez. He loses a lot of salary because of his -1 clutch and 2 fielding, but for 225, you take it and run. (Honorable mention: Holland [310 - if you feel like paying for an elite closer])

Detroit – Avila (305): This park doesn't help its players much since there are no Detroit players with positive clutch. I put Avila here because his -3 makes him incredibly affordable and his +6 defense is serviceable if you want to use the DH on someone with truly poor defense. (Honorable mention: Rizzo [540 - +3 clutch, top defense, SL/GG icon])

Houston - Springer (AS – 430, base - 420): While you'll want to add Aoki (295) to play CF, and either Beltran (320) or Reddick (300) to play the other LF/RF, adding one of the Springer cards should be the obvious choice to counteract what could be a pretty devastating park effect. It's a matter of which one you want - stronger hitter (AS) or well-rounded (base set). (Honorable mention: Marwin Gonzalez [195 - cheap Houston outfield option that could be strategically moved around])

Kansas City - Perez (base – 230, AS – 185): Don't need to explain this one. Build a speed team around your sub-250, +9 defense, +3-speed-on-stolen-base-attempts preventing catcher. Only choice you need to make is if you want to spend the salary on his SL/GG icons on the base set version. (Honorable mention: whichever version of Perez you didn't pick)

Los Angeles (A) – Pujols (275): I know what you're thinking and my answer is: Do you really want to spend 800pts on one player? Now that we've gotten that out of the way, 275pt for someone who 2Bs at 17, has +2 defense at 1B and lets you draw 2 cards for homering at 19 is a pretty good deal. Most importantly, look how much salary you have available. (Honorable mention: Dozier [385 - 11 OB for 385 is scary but B speed, +3 defense, 14+ XBH including 19+ HR and HR icon is scarier)

Los Angeles (N) – Wood (575)/Hill (570): The ultimate take your pick. With just 5 points difference, your decision is fielding/GBs (Wood) or +1 clutch/FBs (Hill). (Honorable mention: Kershaw [base – 725, AS - 690][that salary though])

Miami - Felix Hernandez (395): With 3 ultra-rare Miami pitcher cards, you would think this would be one of them. Alas, the King reigns supreme in Miami with his +2 clutch and 5 command. With a clutch like that, he almost entirely eliminates the possibility of a mistake pitch (barring an Instant Replay card) with RISP. On top of this, he clocks in at 395 salary, allowing you to spend money on someone like Lester, who sports a very similar card but with 1 more IP and the W icon. (Honorable mention: Harvey [400 – similar to Felix except lower command vs LH, better fielder])

Milwaukee – Davies (300): Allows hitters to 2B on his chart at 23, which makes a huge dent in his salary. At just 300pt, 4 command, and 6 IP, he's definitely a solid 2nd or 3rd option that you can expand out from. (Honorable mention: Torres [160 - 2 IP for 160])

Minnesota - AS Santana (475): While this is not THE Minnesota pitcher to add onto a roster (Tonkin should be a staple), he is by far the most important one to have if Minnesota is your stadium. Incredibly well balanced with great fielding and 6IP. (Honorable mention: Gibson [220 - #5 starter that gives you 4 command vs RH)

New York (A) – Tanaka (535): Which lefties you choose is irrelevant as long as you have a few with at least 21+ HR. However, using the stadium to your advantage is always important and no one does that better than Tanaka. (Honorable mention: Chapman [255])

Oakland - Alonso (AS – 305, base - 255): This team is so sad that you just have to take the best player in this instance. Which Alonso you pick depends on whether you're willing to give up 50pts, a 3B option and C speed for doubling at 16 and homering at 21. (Honorable mention: Khris Davis [250 – comes with 19+ HR and a HR icon])

Philadelphia – Hellickson (285): A solid #3 starter that could help you afford a good lineup to get you ahead and let Hellickson prevent the stadium effect. (Honorable mention: Carlton [825 - if the points are worth it])

Pittsburgh – Kang (345): Being able to hang onto your natural HR slot is important and Kang is the only Pittsburgh player that has that. (Honorable mention: McCutchen [395])

San Diego – Myers (305): See Oakland. (Honorable mention: Jankowski [150 – the best kept secret in the game])

San Francisco – Belt (445): 3-hitter chart that benefits the most by turning one of his 3 BB slots to a 1B, while also moving runners on the pitcher’s chart. One of the best offensive options in one of the best offensive stadiums. The +3 fielding is a bonus. (Honorable mentions: Pence [375]/Panik [405])

Seattle – Cano (390): I know most people are expecting The Kid (especially coming from a Mariners fan), but his 715 salary makes him a difficult card to build around. You can only go down from Griffey, whereas Cano gives you top notch defense, 12 OB and one of the most underrated charts in the game- all for just 390. He’s a very good card that allows you to go in any direction after getting a B+ level hitter. (Honorable mention: Kyle Seager [410 – very similar chart with higher OB vs RHP)

St. Louis – Carpenter (455): One of two LH St. Louis players (3 if you count Fowler vs RHP) and by far the better option. Arguably the best hitting card compared to salary, Carpenter might turn a lot of people off because of his +1 fielding. Stick him at 1B, 2B or DH and you can load up the defense around him. (Honorable mention: Fowler [360])

Tampa Bay – Longoria (300)/base set Dickerson (260): Another one of those toss ups. You can’t go wrong with either, and truthfully, you should use both. They’ll cost you a whopping 560 combined and you get +3 defense out of both. (Honorable mention: Souza Jr. [190 - +3 defense for 190])

Texas – Odor (260): 16-19 triple. Need I say more? (Honorable mention: Villar [435 - 13 OB, 17-21 triple, can play all IF])

Toronto – Estrada (415): All the Toronto starters are solid, so all are viable options. Doesn’t hurt to start at the top. (Honorable mention: Happ [345 - That W icon is a nice touch])

Washington – base set Zimmerman (55): Unfortunately, Washington’s bonus effect doesn’t help any of its players keep a natural roll HR. Thus, the second cheapest player in the game that could double as an 11 OB pinch hitter isn’t bad. (Honorable mention: Rendon [360])

Florida - AS Inciarte (460): High OB, +5 fielder that has lower salary due to his -2 clutch. With this stadium, his negative clutch is erased, making him a great leadoff hitter and lynchpin for the outfield. (Honorable mention: AS Cruz [330 - +3 clutch, 12 OB with a natural HR for 330 is a DH steal])

AS Miami – Yelich (440)/base set Stanton (415): Since you only need one Miami OF to negate the stadium, your decision is between power and pure hitting ability. (Honorable mention: Ichiro [150 - 11 OB vs LHP, +3 defense at every OF position]

ClutchJordan liked
ReplyQuote
Catastrophe
(@catastrophe)
Inaugural Tournament Champion
25/10/2017 10:09 am  

If the Like button was working for me I would click it twice for this thread. Very well done!

Patiently waiting for the Omar Vizquel 1999 Career Year card - .333/.397/.436 - AS, GG, SB

ReplyQuote
CommunitySalad
(@communitysalad)
Online League Champion
25/10/2017 10:35 am  

It's okay. It's not working for me either. I appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
Sean Norberg
(@snorberg)
Clutch Creator Admin
25/10/2017 10:36 am  

My go-to is the AS Miami stadium, with Ichiro in the OF. Essentially +5 to all your tag ups, while the other team gets nothing! (usually)

ReplyQuote
Sean Norberg
(@snorberg)
Clutch Creator Admin
25/10/2017 10:37 am  

With the way these playoffs are going.... next years stadium cards are going to immediately read: Roll the 20 sided die. 1-19 The home team automatically wins. If you roll a 20, you actually have to play the game. 

ReplyQuote
ClutchJordan
(@jordan)
Clutch Creator Admin
25/10/2017 3:09 pm  

Love Reddick/Aoki/Springer combo.  Also love Betts/Bogaerts/Pedroia.

Business Development/Gameplay & Balance for Clutch Cards

ReplyQuote
Lefty2215
(@lefty2215)
Day 1 Supporter
25/10/2017 9:33 pm  

Sean I was thinking the same thing lol

ReplyQuote
Sittch
(@sittch)
Day 1 Supporter
26/10/2017 1:01 am